Don’s love for fondue started when went to France for post-grad work after Christmas in 1972. He traveled to Innsbruck, Austria in January where he bought a pair of Rossignol 210 downhills and Koflach boots. If you ever get the chance, the skiing is fantastic there and it is where the Olympics were held in 1964. That first month in Europe, Don discovered fondue and loved it! Since then, Don has been experimenting with different fondue recipes. Below is his very own easy dark chocolate fondue recipe – great with strawberries, bananas, angel food cake and our 2008 3-Clones Pinot Noir!
- 1 lb dark chocolate (Trader Joe’s is great!)
- 1 pint of heavy cream
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp (or more, doesn’t hurt) of brandy (Cognac preferred)
- Heat on low, stirring constantly. Do not let the chocolate boil!
- Transfer to a fondue pot set over a flame.
- Dip pieces of banana, strawberries, angel’s food cake or anything you’d like with two prong or wooden skewers.
Pair With: 2008 3-Clones Pinot Noir or 2015 Explorer Tempranillo